11 Ways to Stay Motivated – Even When You Aren’t
Did you start 2021 with the best of intentions? Did you set some goals or make some resolutions? Were you determined to make things happen?
And then, somehow, things got away from you. Your plans got derailed, and your motivation disappeared. It happens.
But it’s not too late to find your motivation and get your plans back on track! You just have to set your mind to it and create a plan!
- Make Sure You Really Want “It”: Did you make a goal without really thinking it through? Are you sure it’s something you really want? If not, it’s time to scrap it – and move on. You can always create a new goal or take some time to think about the direction you want to go.
- Set Some Mini Goals: If you’ve decided that you really want to make “it” happen, then it’s time to set some mini goals. Mini goals can help keep you motivated because you’ll be able to see the progress you’re making towards your big goal.
- Make Your Goals Public: When you keep your goals to yourself, you’re really only accountable to yourself. And, for some people, that’s enough. For others, it leads them to give up easily. If your goal is important and meaningful to you, then it may be time to share it with others. Put it out there – that way people can support you and hold you accountable if needed.
- Stay Organized: You will never accomplish what you want if you don’t stay organized. Whether you need to organize your time or the steps needed to achieve your goal, make sure your plan has some form of organization attached to it.
- Create Some Deadlines: Do you work better with deadlines? Most people do. They spur you on and create a sense of urgency. And deadlines work well for goals. Be sure to set some with concrete dates to keep you on track.
- Distance Yourself from Distractions: How do you handle distractions? Are you able to ignore them? Or do you find yourself getting sucked in – in turn, letting your own goals fall to the wayside? If that’s the case, you need to limit your distractions. Take the time to identify and then plan on how you’ll keep them at bay.
- Keep Track of Your Progress: How are you going to keep track of your progress? You need to have a measurable way to do this that works for you.
- Reward Yourself: Do you find yourself motivated by small rewards? Then use them to keep yourself going! There’s nothing wrong with giving yourself a special treat for hitting milestones along the way.
- Enlist the Help of Others: Everyone needs help at times – and your goal may require assistance. Start reaching out to people who can help you and ask if they have time to offer advice or mentor you – or whatever you need. Most people are more than happy to help if they have time!
- Have Fun: Guess what? If you’re not having fun along the way, you’re not going to want to do it. So make sure you’ve got some fun planned, too. Yes, goals are work – but there’s no reason you can’t add a little fun to the mix.
- Be Optimistic: Things may not always go as planned, but stay optimistic. Keeping a good attitude can help you reach your goals – even if there are bumps in the road along the way.
Motivation comes and goes, but when you start putting these ideas into practice, you’ll find that it’s more likely to stick around. And when you are motivated – you can achieve anything!