Healthy and Tasty: Why You Should Eat Apples and Some Delicious Recipes
Apples are one of the most popular fruits in the world, and they’re not just delicious – they have a ton of health benefits too! And, of course, fall is the perfect time to pick some up!
Let’s learn why you should include apples in your diet – and share a few tasty recipes to try!
Apples are readily available, inexpensive, and have a long shelf life – and they come in so many different varieties that you’ll never get bored eating them.
Apples provide needed fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants while adding flavor at the same time.
Additionally, apples contain many health-promoting compounds such as quercetin which may help reduce inflammation in your body as well as prevent colon cancer and heart disease, according to some studies.
Apples also contain a variety of phytonutrients that may help prevent cancer, heart disease, and arthritis, among other health problems. They also improve the body’s immune system as well with their high content of vitamin C, which is important for maintaining healthy gums, too!
One large apple contains about 80 calories – which is a pretty small investment considering how many nutrients you’re getting out of it in return for those few calories! They are a low-calorie, nutrient-dense food that will leave you feeling satisfied after eating them – making them a great snack.
And, of course, they’re great for cooking! Here are some apple recipes that you just might have to try!
- Old-Fashioned Easy Apple Crisp: If you want a yummy dessert that showcases the apple and is going to make your home smell out of this world, you’ve got to make apple crisp. This recipe has brown sugar and oats topping that is perfect when served warm with a scoop of vanilla or salted caramel ice cream.
- French Apple Cake: You’ll love the buttery rum flavor and the chunks of apple found throughout this cake. Plus, it only takes about an hour to make from start to finish.
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars: Who doesn’t love a good bar recipe? Bars are so easy to make, and this recipe is no exception! These bars have three layers that go together to create the perfect bite!
- Our Favorite Apple Pie Recipe: Everyone should have a great from-scratch apple pie recipe – and this one is it! It has all the spices you love and apples that are cooked beautifully! YUM!
- Baked Apples: This dessert is super simple and makes apples the star of the show! Get the kids in the kitchen to help you with this one!
- Homemade Applesauce: Yes, you can buy it at the grocery store, but you’re going to love the homemade version so much that you might never buy it again. Plus, it’s not that difficult to make – and you can adjust the sweetness and spices to fit your tastes.
- Dried Apples: Want a healthy snack made from apples? Then make some dried apples in your oven. Parents and kids alike will love these apple chips!
- Apple Butter: If you want a substitute for jam or jelly on your biscuit or toast, then apple butter is the answer. You’ll need a little patience as it takes about two hours to cook, but it’s worth the wait. (And it makes for an excellent gift for friends or neighbors.)
- Easy Caramel Apples: This is a classic way to use apples – and kids will love it! Plus, they can help make them!
This fall, make it all about apples! You can eat them as is – or try one of these yummy recipes that is sure to hit the spot.