“Soup is cuisine’s kindest course. It breathes reassurance; it steams consolation; after a weary day it promotes sociability, as the five o’clock cup of tea or the cocktail hour.” — Louis P. De Gouy
That may seem like a lot of pressure to put on a soup, but it just may be true. Soup is one of those dishes that is comforting and reassuring – especially during the chilly winter months. So, it’s only natural that National Soup Month is in January – when the weather is cold and the “busyness” of the holidays are over.
And there are so many soup recipes available on the internet that you could spend hours searching to find a few you want to try – or you could try some of these favorites!
- Carrot Ginger Soup: Carrot Ginger Soup may not be the first soup that comes to mind when you are looking for recipes, but you need to try it! It has only seven ingredients, but it packs in the flavor. The fresh ginger really brightens this soup – and the color is so gorgeous!
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup: Want a hearty soup that will warm you up and satisfy your hunger? Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is the answer! You’ll love all of the ingredients and how creamy it tastes (thanks to the heavy cream).
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: Cream of Mushroom soup often gets a bad rap – probably because of the canned version that’s used so often in casseroles. But it really shouldn’t! Cream of Mushroom soup is delicious – and this recipe will make you believe again. The garlic, herbs, and spices are what truly adds to the wonderful flavor of this soup.
- Split Pea Soup: If you’ve ever cooked a ham dinner, you know that you always have plenty of leftover ham. And then you need to find something to do with it. Split Pea Soup is an excellent solution for ham leftovers. This soup has tons of vegetables and makes for a great one-pot meal.
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup: Do you love a good loaded baked potato? Bacon, cheese, and sour cream? Yum! And in soup form – it’s just as good! It’s rich and hearty – and is ready in about 35 minutes! Ideal for a weeknight!
- Spicy Black Bean Soup: This soup has a shortcut (canned black beans) that does not detract from the great taste. The fresh celery, onion, garlic, and carrots are a great addition – and you can top it with avocados, sour cream, or tortilla strips (or all of those things) to incorporate a few additional flavors.
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup: Tomato soup is a classic, but it can often seem bland. But, when you try this recipe – you may have a new favorite tomato soup recipe. You will roast your tomatoes, onions, and garlic – and just this one additional step makes a huge difference in the flavor. And fresh basil is fabulous in this soup! Just make a grilled cheese, and you will have a happy home!
- Vegetable Soup: Everyone should have a fantastic vegetable soup recipe in their repertoire – and here’s yours! It’s loaded with all sorts of good things!
- Lemony Lentil Soup: How about a soup that’s gluten-free, vegan, and tastes a-m-a-z-i-n-g? Lemony Lentil Soup is just that soup! Ali, at Gimme Some Oven, has created this tasty soup – and it’s not only satisfying but healthy, too. And she provides you with the directions to prepare it in your slow cooker, InstaPot, or on the stove – your choice!
A big bowl of delicious soup is the way to go on a cold night! It will warm you up and knock away those hunger pains. Which of these recipes are you looking forward to trying?