Healthy Lunch Ideas for the Whole Family
When it comes to packing lunches – whether for yourself or your children – do you find yourself packing the same thing every day? The same ol’ sandwich. A piece of fruit. Maybe a few chips or some cut-up vegetables. There’s nothing wrong with these things for lunch, but boredom can set in quickly if you keep at it.
That’s why you need to mix it up sometimes. Throw a thermos in your lunch and bring some soup or leftover chili. Grab a couple of bento boxes and pack a whole bunch of smaller items that you enjoy. Or, you can always try these recipes! There’s something for everyone here!
- Healthy Chicken Salad with Grapes: Who doesn’t love chicken salad? Of course, trying to avoid a heaping scoop of mayonnaise can be hard, but this recipe uses Greek yogurt, reduced-fat mayo (only three tablespoons), and Dijon mustard – plus some other herbs and spices – to pack in the flavor.
- Hummus Turkey Wrap: Wraps may be the perfect lunch as they are easily portable, and you can fill them with just about anything. This one is filled with turkey and your favorite hummus (homemade or store-bought) – and some of your favorite vegetables,
- Healthy Pasta Salad: Pasta salad is yummy, but it can get weighed down in heavy dressings. But there are ways to make pasta salad healthy – and this recipe is the way to go. It has a ton of fresh vegetables, whole grain pasta, feta cheese, olive oil, and herbs and spices to create a salad that you will love.
- Cheese and Meat Kabobs with Fruit: Food on a stick is fun – and often associated with deep-fried fair foods. But these Cheese and Meat Kabobs with Fruit are ideal for lunch – and kids will love the presentation. And there are so many different combinations that can be made that nobody will ever get bored with them.
- Crunchy PB & A Wrap: Peanut butter is a lunchtime staple, but this wrap drops the “J” from your standard PB & J – and adds an “A” – for apples. Plus, there is some crunchy granola in the wrap – which makes this a fantastic wrap for kids or adults.
- Caprese Pita Pockets: Pitas are another fantastic substitute for your traditional bread when it comes to packing a lunch. And these Caprese Pita Pockets have all sorts of healthy vegetables and fresh basil that brings out all of your favorite Italian flavors.
- Shrimp Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce: These Vietnamese spring rolls are not fried – which helps to keep them extremely healthy. With tons of veggies and shrimp and a yummy dipping sauce – everyone in the family is going to be asking for these in their lunch.
- California Turkey Club Wrap: With turkey, bacon, avocado, tomato, and lettuce, you’ll be making multiples of this yummy wrap. And you can do just that when you “wrap your wraps” tightly in plastic cling wrap. Make a few at the beginning of the week (or even on Sunday if you do weekly food prep) and pack them throughout the week.
- Taco Salad Lunch Bowls: Taco salads are a super lunchtime meal – and you can easily put everything in one container – which means you’re not packing multiple containers. This recipe makes four salads – so you may be fighting over who gets one! (Or just double the recipe!)
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad: Tuna salad sometimes gets a bad rap, but if you like tuna and you want a healthier version of tuna salad – then go Mediterranean. You won’t miss the mayonnaise with all of the flavorful additions.
Don’t spend time making multiple different lunches for everyone in the family. Instead, try some of these recipes. They’re delicious and healthy – and perfect for your noon meal!