Need a Hobby? How About One of These?
Do you ever have time on your hands and wonder, “Hmm, what should I do?” Are you tired of your usual go-to activities? Do you need a change? Maybe it’s time to pick up a new hobby.
First, what exactly is a hobby?
According to Merriam-Webster, a hobby is “a pursuit outside one’s regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation.”
In other words, something you do for enjoyment.
Are you concerned you don’t have a hobby? Try this exercise:
You meet someone new, and they ask you what you like to do. No matter your answer, it’s one of your hobbies.
Because, again, a hobby is something you enjoy doing.
One of the many benefits of hobbies is that you can do them in groups or by yourself. They allow the opportunity to meet new people with similar interests. Hobbies can also reduce stress, provide a positive outlook on life, inspire creativity, improve self-esteem and your mental and physical health.
Need a little help in the idea department? Here are a few possible hobbies.
Do you like to use your hands?
- Restoring old furniture
- Flower pressing
- Building models
Is food your passion? Then spend time in the kitchen or at restaurants!
- Bake cookies, cakes, and bread
- Take cooking classes from around the world
- Wine tasting or winery tours
- Brewery tours – or make your own beer
- BBQ – create the perfect sauce
- Canning – jam, vegetables, soups
- Grow your own food – vegetables and herbs work great on patios and balconies
- Try foods you’ve never eaten
- Make cheese
- Try new recipes or make your own masterpiece – a dash of this and a sprinkle of that – voila!
- Write reviews for restaurants
- Become a secret shopper and get food for free
- Who cooks it better? Enjoy a little competition
- Cook every meal with only five ingredients
Brain booster hobbies – Do you like giving your brain a workout?
- Play a musical instrument
- Read – anything – just read
- Learn a new language
- Crossword puzzles, brainteasers, Sudoku, Rubik’s Cube, Word Search
- Play cards or board games
- Escape Rooms
- Murder Mystery dinners
Do you love the outdoors? Then there are plenty of hobbies for you!
- Fly a drone
- Ride a bike
- Stargaze – check out the constellations – what do they mean?
- Rock climb
- Walk on stilts
- Collect things you find in nature
Learn Something New
- Watch documentaries and read autobiographies
- Online courses
- Using Google, pick a topic and keep following the attached links
- Ted Talks
- YouTube videos
- Memorize the dialogue to your favorite movie
- Research information about your state – bird, flower, tree, fish
- How did your town get its name?
- Common core math
Become a Collector
- Join the search for the classics
- Vintage fashion
- Old signs
- Retro video games
- Comic books
- Trading Cards
- Music and music memorabilia
- Rocks and crystals
- Dishes and glassware
Social Media – If you spend a lot of time on social media – it can be a hobby.
- Create your own YouTube channel
- Become a photoshop dynamo
- Start your own podcast channel
- Design web pages
- Make a # challenge
One of the best parts about having a hobby is it’s all about you. So, take time for yourself – you deserve it – and maybe give one of these hobbies a try!